Dog swallowed tennis balls
But after she took him to the vets, they were stunned to see a whole ball in his stomach - which could have killed him.
X-rays taken by Brighton PDSA PetAid hospital clearly showed the ball, and surgeons quickly operated.
Brighton PDSA senior vet, Becca Thring, said: 'This was a life-or-death situation - without surgery, it is highly likely that Pax would have died. As with all major operations, there are risks, but it was the only option.'
Emergency surgery meant the tennis ball was removed intact and the clumsy canine was allowed home the same day.
Emergency surgery meant the tennis ball was removed intact and the clumsy canine was allowed home the same day
Down, boy! PDSA senior vet, Becca Thring, said: 'This was a life-or-death situation for Pax'
Owner, Anna Dziedzic, 29, said: 'I was in the park with Pax and my other dog Pixie, a Jack Russell, and the dogs were happily playing with their favourite toys, tennis balls, like usual.
'When it was time to leave, Pax didn’t have his ball, but I just assumed he’d lost it in the undergrowth and thought no more about it.
'He became really poorly over the next week and I was so worried about him.
'I was stunned when PDSA called to reveal how dangerously ill he was and what the problem was.
'I can’t believe a bit of innocent fun had turned into a life-threatening situation. I’ll be forever grateful to PDSA for saving his life.'
Tennis balls are now strictly out of bounds for her dogs, and Anna has been warning other dog owners of the hazards.