Dog ate tennis ball now sick
If you feed your dog raw meat, it is your responsibility to do everything possible to make sure you wash any countertops, bowls, knives, etc., that came in contact with the raw meat.
As for dogs, they are raw meat eaters and can handle bacteria better than us.
My mutt has eaten cat poop, bird poop, cigarette butts, garbage, dead mice and all kinds of unidentifiable remains without getting sick.
Why doesn’t my dog get sick from eating garbage/dead animals/poop?
For one thing, dogs have enzymes in their saliva that destroy harmful bacteria, according to Carissa Kuehn of RawFed.com. Kuehn worked for four years in the Clinical Sciences Department at the Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. She has fed her pets raw food since 2001.
This is because dogs have short digestive tracts that quickly push the food and bacteria through their systems before any bacteria has time to colonize, according to Kuehn. Dogs also have highly acidic stomachs to prevent bacteria from colonizing.
All of the above are reasons why dogs can usually drink standing puddles of water or eat animal remains with few consequences.
How can I prevent my dog from getting sick from raw meat?
To be on the safe side, here are some tips to keep your dog safe from potential bacteria in raw dog food:
1. Do not feed your dog raw meat if he has a weak immune system.
If your dog is older or if he has a weak immune system, adding raw meat to his diet could make him sick. His body may not be able to fight off certain bacteria the way a healthy dog can, especially if his body is already trying to fight another infection.
If you are not sure how your dog’s immune system is, talk to his vet and consider a blood test.
2. Buy pre-prepared raw food for your dog.
Raw dog food companies will go out of their way to make sure the food is safe for your dog. If too many dogs get sick from their products, no one will buy the food.
You might also like
SKLZ Rain Maker - Trajectory & Rebounding Basketball Trainer